F4F Wildcat vs B5N1 Kate Dogfight Double (Airfix 1:72)


It's August and that means time for my local clubs annual Group Build. This time around the subject is the Airfix 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat. I really like Dogfight Doubles and so to go along with the Wildcat I built the new Airfix B5N1 Kate.

These builds are my first serious effort at applying rivet detail to a complete model (using the RB Productions wheels). Quite fiddly in 1/72 but I figured if I can get it to work in this scale then 1/48 and 1/32 should be a breeze :)

The Wildcat is finished using MR. Paint whilst the Kate in Alclad (Stainless Steel). I tried to minimise the use of decals on both models (to preserve the surface detail) and made up paint masks using Frisket Film for the Wildcat roundel/stars. The only decal on the Kate was the tail number, everything else was masked.

As I left this project to the last minute (as usual) I did not have time to document my build like normal. As a result I only have the finished photos to share with you.