The Buckeye entered initial service in 1959, and was replaced by the T-45 Goshawk in 2008.
The Buckeye had a tandem seating arrangement with the rear seat elevated to provide student and instructor pilot with excellent visibility. The front and rear
cockpits had duplicate controls, allowing control of the aircraft from either cockpit. The rocket-catapult ejection seats provided emergency escape capabilities
from ground level to 50,000 feet at speeds from 55 to 525 knots.
The versatility of the T-2C as a weapons trainer was demonstrated by the capability to install many types of practice stores and packages on the wing store
stations. These stores and packages included bombs, air-to-air and air-to-ground rockets, gun pods, and aerial tow targets. An armament accessory kit was available
that provided six store stations instead of two, thus making the Buckeye an excellent light-attack aircraft in addition to its training role.